White beetroot and Red Gooseberries Relish
- Preparation and cooking time
- 10 min for labelling and storing away.
- Makes Around 3 to 4 Jars of 300g
Delicately sweet with a goosberry tang, pairs well with shaper, strongly flavoured cheeses such as Gorgonzola, Stilton or any other blue cheese.
- 1 kg of white or yellow beetroot
- 500g of Red Gooseberries
- 300g of Red Onions
- 200g of Demerara Sugar
- 200g of Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- STEP 1Slice the beetroot thinly and dice the onions either by hand or in the food processor (I used the food processor). In a non stick saucepan add your sugar, vinegar and salt,stir gently and bring to boil. Once in boil add the diced veggies and stir bringing it to boil again(2-5min). Reduce the heat and cook for further 30 min, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 2Whilst your veggies are cooking, get your your jars cleaned with soapy water, rinse well and on a tray. Preheat the oven to 150degrees Celsius and put the jars and lids in the oven for about 25min. By this point a you are nearly ready!
- STEP 3Make sure that you spoon the relish in the jar whilst still hot. Put the lid(if no lids available you can put a wax disc and cellophane, tie it with string or elastic band). Label
- STEP 4Lastly, be sure to leave some aside for tasting!!!!!! It will store for 6months or more if in a cool aired space.