Moroccan inspired chicken and lentils
- Preparation and cooking time
- Add 1.5-2 hours if lentils are not pre-cooked
- More effort
- Serves 2
A healthy, full flavoured, protein packed meal. Each generous serving should be around 425 calories.
- 1tbsp raisins
- 1tbsp smoked paprika
- 1tbsp thyme
- 0.5tbsp oregano
- 1tbsp parsley
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1 large garlic clove
- 250g chicken breast
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 large red onion
- 2 spring onions
- 2 salad tomatos
- 1.5tbsp tomato purée
- 0.5tsp black pepper
- chilli powder
- 1 cup pre-cooked green lentils
- STEP 1If your lentils are not pre-cooked, then follow the relevant instructions for cooking them, and put them in the fridge to cool for at least an hour.
- STEP 2Slice the chicken breasts into thin (5-6mm) slices about 4-6cm long and place to the side. Slice the red onion in to long thin slices. Chop the spring onions diagonally into thin slices. Peel and finely chop the garlic, or use a garlic crusher if you have one. Chop the tomatoes into small chunks.
- STEP 3Thoroughly wash the rice and add to a pan with 2.5 cups of cold water. Bring the water to the boil and boil for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes reduce the heat to low and cover the rice with a lid. Allow to gently simmer with the lid on for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the heat but do not remove the lid (try to avoid peeking and letting out all the steam). Set aside for 15 minutes. You can proceed to the next step whilst the rice is cooking.
- STEP 4Heat half the oil in a large heavy bottomed frying pan and when hot add the sliced chicken. Allow the chicken to whiten all around, frequently turning the pieces to ensure even cooking. When you cannot see any more pink chicken add the chilli powder, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Mix around with the chicken and cook for a further 3-4 minutes on a medium heat, stirring frequently. The chicken should take on some of the colour of the paprika.
- STEP 5Make a space in the centre of the pan (pushing the chicken to the edges) and add the remaining oil. Heat briefly and then add the onions, garlic, thyme, oregano, and parsley. Stir the onion and herb mixture in the centre of the pan and fry gently until the onions begin to soften and the herbs are fragrant.
- STEP 6Add the chopped tomato and tomato purée to the pan and mix together the contents of the pan. Fry on a medium heat for 1-2 minutes and then add the chicken stock, lentils and raisins.
- STEP 7Simmer the contents of the pan on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the majority of the liquid has gone, stirring occasionally to prevent the bottom from sticking and burning.
- STEP 8Serve the rice and chicken and enjoy!