Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Sardine & Anchovy Pasta Sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
Very easy, super quick and extremely tasty
- 2 120g cans of sardines in sunflower oil
- 1 50g can of anchovy fillets in oil
- 3 plum tomatoes, whole
- 2 table spoons capers
- 9 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red chilli, deseeded
- generous handful of basil leaves
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 cup of frozen peas (petit pois are best)
- Pasta of your choice (not lasagne)
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- STEP 1For the sauce - Lightly drain the sardines and anchovy fillets and tip them into a food processor. Add the whole tomatoes, capers, chilli, basil leaves and 8 table spoons of olive oil. Blend on high for about 30 seconds or until the mixture is smooth.
- STEP 2Heat 1 table spoon of olive oil in a frying pan and lightly fry chopped onions and frozen peas. You are really only softening the onion and heating the peas so this will only take 6 or 7 minutes.
- STEP 3Meanwhile, cook pasta according to instructions on the packet.
- STEP 4Transfer all the ingredients to a large bowl and using tongs or 2 forks or 2 spoons, gently combine everything until the pasta is generously coated in the sardine sauce and the onions and peas are evently distributed. Sprinkle with grated parmesan and serve immediately