- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 2 x 340g jars
Jam Sugar contains apple pectin and as I am allergic to apples this has ruled out making strawberry jam in the past. This year we have a bumper collection so I tried this. Leaving the strawberry pieces quite large enable those who like the fruit to have them whilst those who prefer 'seedless' can easily remove them.
- 450g Ripe Strawberries
- 400g Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- STEP 1Sort through strawberries and remove any greenery, wash then cut larger ones in half.
- STEP 2Put strawberries, sugar and lemon juice into a large, heavy-based saucepan and heat slowly until the sugar has dissolved.
- STEP 3Turn heat up and bring to a rolling boil, temperature 105 degrees C. Stirring frequently boil for 40 mins. (I test whether it's ready by putting half a teaspoon of the liquid onto a pre-cooled plate. When the jam had cooled it should be of a jam consistency. If it is still runny, keep boiling and test again after a few minutes.)
- STEP 4When the right consistency, pour the jam into sterilised jars, place a wax disc on the top and secure the lids. Check that the lids remain tight while the jam is cooling.