Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Devil's Food Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus 10 minutes cooling time.
- More effort
- Serves 8
This classic American cake is moist and dark but with a sweet frosting; crisp on top and like marshmallow underneath.
- 50g cocoa
- 225ml water
- 100g soft margarine
- 275g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 175g plain flour
- 1/4tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the American Frosting.
- 450g caster sugar
- 135ml water
- 2 egg whites
- STEP 1Pre-heat the oven to 180'C/Gas mark 4. Grease and base line 2 x 8inch (20cm) sandwich tins with greased greaseproof paper.
- STEP 2Whisk the cocoa into the water until smooth. Set aside. Place the margarine in a bowl and gradually whisk in the sugar until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Lightly whisk the eggs, then gradually whisk into the creamed mixture until evenly blended.
- STEP 3Sift the flour with baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and fold into the creamed mixture alternatively with the cocoa and water.
- STEP 4Divide the mixture between the tins and level the surface. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 30-35 minutes or until well risen and firm to the touch. Allow to cool in the tins for a few minutes, then turn out and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- STEP 5For the American frosting, place the sugar in a large, heavy-based pan with the water and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil to 115'C (240'F) as registered on a sugar thermometer.
- STEP 6Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites in a large deep bowl until stiff. Allow the bubbles to settle, then slowly pour the hot syrup onto the egg whites, whisking constantly. When all the sugar syrup has been added, continue whisking until the mixture stands in peaks and just starts to become matt around the edges.
- STEP 7Sandwich the cakes together with a little of the frosting. Spread the remainder over the top and the sides, using a palette knife. Pull the frosting up into peaks all over. Work quickly as the icing sets rapidly. Leave to set in a cool place, but not in the fridge.