Easy Coffee & Walnut Cake
Member recipe by emilly_love_90
A quick, simple, but most importantly tasty recipe for a coffee & walnut cake. Perfect for all occasions every day of the year!
- Cake mixture:
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 175g butter (room temp)
- 175g brown sugar
- 175g self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 50g chopped walnuts
- Filling and decoration:
- 100g butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 200ml double cream
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Put the soft butter, sugar and baking powder into a bowl, mix until smooth. Beat the eggs and gently add to the mixture. Add the flour (must be sieved in). Dissolve the coffee in approx. 10ml of hot water, add to the mixture and add most of the walnuts, (keep some back for decoration).
- Lightly grease and flour 2 sandwhich tins, spoon the mixture equally into each tin. Cook in the middle of oven for 25-30 mins or until firm to touch.
- Remove cakes from the tins and place onto cooling racks, allow to cool completely.
- When the cakes are cooled make the filling as follows:
- Put the icing sugar and butter in a bowl. Dissolve the tspn of coffee with 2 tspns of hot water and add to the bowl. Mix well. Use a third of the mixture to cover the top of one of the cakes and decorate with remaining walnuts. Use the remaining mixture on the other cake.
- Whip the double cream until it peaks and spoon ontop of the second cake and spread evenly.
- Place the decorate cake on top.
- Eat and enjoy! =)