Slow-roast belly of pork
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 5
Winter fare. For crisp crackling, you need a thick strip of fat just under the well-scored skin.
- 1.5k pork belly, well-scored
- 1 tablespoonful olive oil
- 4 onions, peeled and chunked
- 6 carrots, peeled and chunked
- 4 beetroot, peeled and cut into wedges
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 6 sage leaves
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 170C. Dry pork skin with kitchen paper. Brush roasting tin with oil and add vegetables, seasoning and sage. Top with pork belly, skin-side up, and cook for an hour.
- STEP 2Reduce heat to 150C and cook for a further 4.5 hours.
- STEP 3Raise heat to 180C (higher if necessary to crisp the skin) and cook for a further 30 mins.
- STEP 4Remove to carving board, cover with foil and allow to rest for 15-30 mins.
- STEP 5Strain off the fat from the veg, carve the meat and serve with the meat juices and veg.