Dark chocolate fondants with liquid toffee centres
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 6
Hot chocolate fondant with a liquid toffee centre
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g 70 per cent dark chocolate
- 6 eggs (3 whole plus 3 yolks)
- 150g light soft brown sugar
- 120g plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa , plus extra for dusting
- 12 toffees (Werther's Original Chewy Toffees work really well)
- STEP 1Butter 6 small (150ml) pudding basins and dust with cocoa powder, shaking out the excess. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- STEP 2Melt the butter and chocolate together in a microwave or in a bowl set over, not in, a pan of simmering water.
- STEP 3Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together until pale and thick. Fold in the chocolate mixture, sift in the flour and cocoa and fold in with a large metal spoon or a spatula. Divide between the moulds, filling each one three-quarters full. At this stage, the puddings can be covered with clingfilm and chilled for up to 5 hours; bring them back to room temperature before cooking or add another minute onto the cooking time.
- STEP 4Press two toffees together to make one large toffee and submerge each in a pudding, making sure they aren't visible. Place the puddings on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes. Leave to rest for half a minute before running a sharp knife around the edges and turning out onto serving plates. Dust with cocoa before serving.