Homemade pasta & tomato sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 2
Simple to make, delicious and satisfying fresh pasta in minutes.
For the pasta:
- 200g type 00 flour
- 2 eggs
Flour for dusting
- Flour for dusting
For the sauce:
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Handful button mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper to season
- Chopped basil leaves to serve
- STEP 1Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and gently fry the garlic and onions until soft. Add the mushrooms, chilli, tinned tomatoes, mixed herbs and season well. Leave to simmer gently on a low heat.
- STEP 2In a large bowl add the flour and eggs and mix well using hands to form a stiff dough. Turn out on to a floured surface. If the dough is too dry add a little drop of oil, and equally if it is too sticky to knead add more four. Knead the dough until it is smooth and has the consistency of play dough. This may take quite a few minutes.
- STEP 3Taking a tennis ball sized piece of dough at a time, either roll by hand using a rolling pin or pass it through a pasta machine until it is flat and smooth. Keep the remaining dough covered with cling film to stop it drying out. If rolling by hand this will require some serious elbow work! Once the required thickness either cut into strips using a sharp knife or pass through pasta machine again on the cutter setting. Repeat this until all the dough is used up.
- STEP 4Boil pasta in a large pan of salted water for 5 minutes or until just al dente. Drain.
- STEP 5Serve on a plate, topped with the pasta sauce which you made earlier, garnish with basil leaves. Great with Parmesan cheese.