Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Leave to cool
- Makes 6 x 500ml bottles (to serve dilute 1 part cordial to 4 parts water)
When the elderflowers are out, make this easy delicious cordial and save yourself some pennies.
- 30 elderflower heads undamanged in full bloom, white or pink
- 3 litres of water
- 1 kg granulated sugar
- 2 lemons sliced
- 75g citric acid
- STEP 1Put the water in a large pan, and bring to the boil.
- STEP 2Add the sugar and sliced lemon, turn the heat down and dissolve sugar slowly, this will stop the sugar becoming crystallised. Once dissolved re-boil.
- STEP 3Add the elderflower heads and citric acid, stir them well, bring to the boil again, turn off the heat, give it another good stir, then place a clean tea towel over the top and leave to cool.
- STEP 4Once cooled, strain the liquid through muslin or kitchen paper and pour through a funnel into strong sterilised screw top or flip top bottles. Seal immediately and store in a cook dark place. This will keep for 3 months.