Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Tangy Corned beef hash
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Corned beef hash with a delicious tang of marmite (if you dare!)
- 25 g butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- tbsp thyme
- 1 tsp Marmite
- 1 beef stock cube
- 150 ml red wine
- 375 g corned beef, cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp milk
- ground pepper
- 500g potatoes
- 50g butter
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
- STEP 2Heat the butter in a frying pan. Add in the onions and thyme and fry for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- STEP 3Add the marmite (optional) and stock cube and mix well. Turn up the heat and add the red wine, cook until it starts to bubble reduces by about half
- STEP 4Add the corned beef and and season with freshly ground pepper.
- STEP 5Cook for further 8-10 minutes, stirring well. Pour into a suitable oven dish and set aside to make the potatoes.
- STEP 6Boiling the potatoes - bring large pan of water to the boil. Peel and chop the potatoes into small cubes and add to the boiling water. Boil for 20mins or until soft. You can check this easily by testing whether a sharp knife can penetrate one of the potato cubes easily - if it does, they're ready to mash!
- STEP 7Mashing the potatoes - draining the water and mash using suitable masher, pouring the butter and milk as you go. Mash until completely smooth with no lumps left.
- STEP 8Scoop the mashed potato evenly onto the corned beef mix and run a fork over it to texturise - will help the potato to crisp,
- STEP 9Put the dish into the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until crisp and golden on top.