Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Vegan Garlic Pasta
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A 30-minute creamy pasta made with almond milk and infused with garlic and roasted tomatoes. Perfect for a quick, weeknight meal and feeding vegan/dairy-free friends.
- 3 cups grape tomatoes (halved)
- 10 ounces whole wheat pasta (such as penne, linguini, or fettuccine
- Olive oil
- 2 medium shallots (diced // 2 medium shallots yield ~1/4 cup or 40 g)
- 8 large cloves garlic (minced/grated // 8 large cloves yield ~1/4 cup or 24 g)
- 1 pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 3-4 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour (or another thickener of choice)*
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened plain Almond Breeze (sub up to 1 cup with veggie stock, if preferred)
- 1-3 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and toss tomatoes in a bit of olive oil and sea salt. Place cut side up on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the dish. Then set aside.
- STEP 2Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions. When done, drain, cover and set aside.
- STEP 3In the meantime, prepare the sauce. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add 1 Tbsp (15 ml // use more, as needed, if increasing batch size) olive oil and the garlic and shallot. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and stir frequently, cooking for 3-4 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- STEP 4Stir in flour (or other thickener of choice – see notes) and mix with a whisk. Once combined, slowly whisk in the almond milk a little at a time so clumps don’t form. Add another healthy pinch of salt and black pepper, bring to a simmer and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes to thicken. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt to taste, minced garlic for zing, or a little nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor (optional). (NOTE: You can also add a few shakes of vegan parmesan for extra flavor at this time if you wish.)
- STEP 5If you want an ultra creamy sauce, transfer sauce to a blender (or use an immersion blender) to blend the sauce until creamy and smooth. Place back in pan and reduce heat to a low simmer until desired thickness is reached.
- STEP 6Once the sauce is to your desired thickness, taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Then add pasta and roasted tomatoes and stir.
- STEP 7Serve immediately and garnish with extra black pepper, fresh basil, and/or vegan parmesan cheese. Best when fresh, but will keep for up to 2 days in fridge.