- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus cooling time
- Serves 6
A tasty recipe, to use for afters using fresh raspberry jam.
- 250g self-raising flour
- 50g light muscovado sugar
- 125g un-salted butter
- 150ml milk
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 jar raspberry jam
- STEP 1Put the butter into the freezer around an hour before you start preparation.
- STEP 2Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4 and place a roasting tin filled with hot water into the bottom of the oven to create some steam whilst cooking the roly poly.
- STEP 3Into a large bowl, sieve the flour and add the sugar. Grate the frozen butter into the flour and stir to mix. Make a well and add the egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract. Mix the ingredients together until you get a sticky dough.
- STEP 4Put the dough on grease proof paper and roll out with a rolling pin, smother with jam and roll the dough towards you to make a roulade, then wrap loosely in the grease proof paper. Wrap the roll loosely in kitchen foil (as the roly poly will puff up during cooking) and seal the edges of the foil.
- STEP 5Place on a baking tray and put in the oven for 50-60 minutes until cooked through. Remove and leave to cool.
- STEP 6To serve add custard and if you want add some raspberries.