Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Healthy tomato sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A healthy tomato sauce that can be served chunky or blitz. It is an easy recipe and it will soon become one of your favourites. You can throw any vegetable in here to make it even more nutritious.
- 1 onion
- 50g spinach
- 20g tomatoes of your choice
- 1 clove garlic
- 50g tomato puree
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 100ml water
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 1 tsp sweetner or honey (optional)
- STEP 1Finely chop the onion, spinach and garlic. Add to a pan. Instead of using oil, to help soften the onion add a spoon of water. Cook for 5 mins until soft.
- STEP 2Add the fresh tomatoes (chopped), the tomato puree, the water, stock cube and the tinned tomatoes. Add sweetener/honey if you have chosen to. Mix until all combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- STEP 3Leave to simmer (with the lid on ajar), for 10 mins. At this point, if you want to make it a smooth sauce, pour into a food processor and blitz until smooth.