Wild garlic & nettle soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4 - 6
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil , plus extra for drizzling
- 25g butter
- 1 onion , finely diced
- 1 leek , finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot , finely diced
- 1 small potato , peeled and diced
- 1.2l good-quality vegetable stock
- 300g young nettle leaves
- 200g wild garlic leaves (keep any flowers if you have them)
- 3 tbsp milk
- STEP 1
Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion, leek, celery, carrot, potato and a good pinch of salt, and stir until everything is well coated. Cover and sweat gently for 15-20 mins, stirring every so often to make sure that the vegetables don’t catch on the bottom of the pan.
- STEP 2
Pour in the stock and simmer for 10 mins. Add the nettles in several batches, stirring, then add the wild garlic leaves and simmer for 2 mins.
- STEP 3
Remove from the heat and blend using a stick blender or tip into a blender. Return to the heat and stir through the milk, then taste for seasoning. Ladle into bowls and drizzle over a little extra oil, then top with a few wild garlic flowers, if you have them.