- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 12 thin rashers streaky bacon
- 1kg minced venison
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 2 good-quality pork sausages , meat squeezed from the skins
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus sprigs to decorate
- 50g fresh breadcrumb
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Stretch out the bacon with the back of a knife, then trim off and finely chop any stray bits. Line a 900g loaf tin with the bacon, leaving an overhang, and set aside. Tip the rest of the ingredients into a bowl and scrunch well with your hands.
- STEP 2
Pack the mix into the tin, pat down well and wrap over the bacon. Put the tin on a tray and bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hr 15 mins or until firm and cooked through. Leave to rest for at least 15 mins, then serve sliced – or leave to cool completely and serve sliced cold for a buffet with salad, or stuffed into a roll. Either way, Cumberland sauce is a must (see tip, below).