Vegetable couscous with chickpeas & preserved lemons
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
For the broth
- 2l vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 tbsp harissa , homemade (see recipe below) or shop bought
- 3 carrots , chopped
- 3 large parsnips , chopped
- 2 red onions , cut into wedges through the root
- 2 large potatoes , chopped into chunks
- ½ butternut squash , chopped into chunks
- 4 leeks , sliced into rings
- 12 dried figs , halved
- 2 preserved lemons , homemade (see recipe below) or bought, rinsed, pulp scooped out and finely sliced
- small bunch mint , chopped
For the couscous
- STEP 1
For the broth, bring the stock to a simmer in a large pan. Add the harissa and vegetables, bring back to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins. Add the figs and continue to cook for 5 mins more until the veg is tender.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, put the couscous and half the chickpeas into a bowl, add the butter, and season. Pour 350ml boiling water over the couscous, cover with cling film, leave aside for 10 mins, then fluff up with a fork.
- STEP 3
In a separate bowl, combine the red onion, spring onions, harissa, olive oil, remaining chickpeas, lemon juice and coriander, then mix into the couscous. Pile onto a large deep serving dish, ladle over the braised vegetables and broth, and sprinkle with the preserved lemons and chopped mint.