Ultimate veggie burger with pickled carrot slaw
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus chilling
- Serves 4
- 2 tsp vegetable oil , plus extra for frying
- 1 small onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms , finely chopped
- 2 small sweet potatoes , peeled and diced
- 150g cooked quinoa
- 1 large beetroot , grated
- 1 egg , beaten
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- zest 2 limes
- 4 tbsp plain flour , plus extra for dusting
For the carrot slaw
- 1 large carrot , thinly shredded
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce
- 4 burger buns , lightly toasted
- 2 handfuls rocket or spinach leaves
- STEP 1
In a medium frying pan, heat 2 tsp vegetable oil. Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms, season and fry until everything is soft, about 5 mins. Put the sweet potatoes in a microwaveable bowl, cover with cling film and microwave on high for 5-6 mins until soft. Mash the sweet potatoes, then add to the pan with the onion mix. Tip into a large mixing bowl and leave to cool.
- STEP 2
Add the quinoa, beetroot, egg, coriander, lime zest, flour and some seasoning. Mix with your hands, then form into four large burgers. Sprinkle with flour and chill for 30 mins to firm up.
- STEP 3
Put the carrots in a small bowl with the vinegar, sugar and 1 tsp salt. Cover and leave to pickle until ready to eat. Mix the mayonnaise with the chilli sauce.
- STEP 4
Heat a frying pan and pour in a thin coating of oil. Fry the burgers on a medium-low heat to allow the centre to cook slowly. When browned, after about 7 mins, gently flip over and cook for the same time on the other side. Drain the pickled carrots and toast the buns.
- STEP 5
Brush the buns with the chilli mayo. Layer on the spinach or rocket, burgers and the carrot slaw.