Tender duck legs with baby turnips
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 6 ducks legs
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- bundle of thyme , bay, rosemary and a whole red chilli, tied together
- 350g baby carrot , trimmed, but left whole
- 400ml hot chicken stock
- 400g baby turnip , trimmed
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 3. Heat a shallow casserole dish or flameproof roasting dish, then take your time to brown the duck legs slowly on all sides – a good 15-20 mins. Remove the duck from the pan, pour off all but 1 tbsp of fat, then add the onion, garlic and herb bundle. Cook for 5 mins, then toss in the carrots.
- STEP 2
Nestle the duck legs, skin side up, among the vegetables, then pour over the stock. Roast for 1 hr until the stock is gently bubbling. Scatter the turnips into the puddles of stock between the duck legs, then return to the oven for 30-40 mins until the duck legs are very tender and the turnips are cooked.