Sweet & sour tofu
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 1
Enjoy our sweet and sour tofu for one. With pineapple, red pepper, onion and Chinese flavourings, it’s vegan and healthy, delivering three of your 5-a-day
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
- 75g extra-firm tofu , cut into 2cm chunks
- ½ onion , cut into thin wedges
- ½ red pepper , chopped into chunks
- 1 large garlic clove , finely sliced
- 80g fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 tbsp low-salt ketchup
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp dark soy sauce
- cooked basmati rice , to serve
- sesame seeds , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat half the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the tofu and fry for 5 mins, turning regularly, until golden brown on all sides. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- STEP 2
Heat the remaining oil in the pan over a high heat. Fry the onion, pepper and garlic for 5-6 mins, or until the veg begins to soften. Add the pineapple, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and 50ml water, and simmer for 1 min, or until slightly reduced. Stir the tofu back into the pan.
- STEP 3
Cook the basmati rice following pack instructions. Serve the tofu in bowls with the rice and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.