Sweet & sour ribs with pomegranate salsa
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Plus marinating and standing
- Serves 4 - 6
- 2kg pork spare rib
- 1l carton pomegranate juice
- flatbreads or rice , to serve (optional)
For the sauce
- 10 tbsp pomegranate molasses (shop bought or see our recipe, below)
- 8 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 8 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp coriander seed
For the salsa
- 1 red onion , finely chopped
- seeds from 2 pomegranates , or about 2 tubs pomegranate seeds
- 1 red chilli , finely chopped
- juice 2 limes
- ½ a small bunch coriander , roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Snugly fit the ribs into a roasting tin. Pour over the pomegranate juice and enough water (if needed) to cover the ribs, then cover tightly with foil. Roast for 2-3 hrs, turning halfway through, until the ribs are really tender, but not falling apart.
- STEP 2
Put all the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Gently heat, then bubble for about 2 mins, stirring. Set aside.
- STEP 3
When the ribs are done, tip away the liquid and coat all over with the sticky sauce. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hr, or better still up to 24 hrs. Can be frozen at this stage.
- STEP 4
To make the salsa, mix together all the ingredients and chill until ready to serve.
- STEP 5
About 30 mins before baking, take the ribs out of the fridge to come to room temperature. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Bake for 20-30 mins, turning occasionally and basting often with the sauce, until sticky, hot and crisping on the outside. Serve with the salsa and flatbreads or rice, if you like.