Spicy chicken & bacon pasties
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 rashers streaky bacon , chopped
- 1 large potato (about 250g total weight), peeled and cut into small cubes
- red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 ready-cooked chicken breast , shredded
- 3 spring onions , thinly sliced
- 375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- 2 tbsp milk
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/ gas 7. Fry the bacon in a non-stick pan over a medium heat for a few mins, until it starts to release its fat. Add the potato, turn up the heat and fry for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is crisp and the potato just underdone. Add the chilli and cook for a further min. Season generously with black pepper, plus salt to taste.
- STEP 2
Tip into a bowl and mix with the shredded chicken and spring onions. Unroll the pastry and, with a rolling pin, roll out until it's large enough to cut out 4 circles of pastry, using a large saucer or a side plate as a guide, discarding the trimmings. Lift onto a baking sheet.
- STEP 3
Spoon the filling into the middle of each circle. Brush the edges of the pastry with a little milk, then bring them up to the middle, pinching at the top to make a pasty. Brush with a little milk, then bake for 15 mins or until golden.