Spicy baby aubergine stew with coriander & mint
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Superhealthy and high in fibre too, this miraculous Middle Eastern one-pot is under 150 calories per serve and counts as 5 of your 5-a-day
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions , sliced
- 4 garlic cloves , smashed
- 2 red chillies , deseeded and sliced, or 2-3 dried red chillies left whole
- 2 tsp coriander seeds , toasted and crushed
- 2 tsp cumin seeds , toasted and crushed
- 16 baby aubergines , left whole with stalk intact
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp sugar
- bunch mint leaves, roughly chopped
- bunch coriander , roughly chopped
- couscous and yogurt to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the onions and garlic and cook until they begin to colour. Add the chillies, coriander and cumin seeds. When the seeds give off a nutty aroma, toss in the whole aubergines, coating them in the onion and spices.
- STEP 2
Tip in tomatoes and sugar, cover and gently cook for 40 mins, until aubergines are tender.
- STEP 3
Season sauce and toss in half the mint and coriander. Cover and simmer for 2 mins. Sprinkle over remaining herbs and serve with couscous and yogurt.