Spice-crusted chicken with Asian slaw
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Griddle lean chicken breasts marinated in Chinese spices and serve with shredded cabbage and onion
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp each chilli flakes , cumin seeds and Sichuan peppercorns
- 3 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- juice 1 lemon , plus lemon halves to serve
- ½ small white cabbage , finely shredded
- 1 red onion , sliced
- 1 red chilli , deseeded and chopped
- small handful coriander sprigs, to serve
- STEP 1
Slice most of the way through each chicken breast lengthways, and open out like a book. Cover with cling film and gently beat with a rolling pin until flattened. Rub 2 tsp sesame oil all over the chicken.
- STEP 2
Roughly crush the chilli flakes, cumin seeds and peppercorns using a pestle and mortar. Add some salt and sprinkle over both sides of the chicken. Chill until you are ready to cook.
- STEP 3
In small bowl, mix the remaining sesame oil, sugar, soy sauce and lemon juice. Add the cabbage, onion and chilli to a large bowl, pour over half the dressing and mix well. Save remaining dressing to use as a dipping sauce for the chicken.
- STEP 4
Heat grill to high. Place the chicken on a baking tray lined with foil, grill for 3-4 mins on each side until cooked through. Serve with the slaw, lemon halves, a scattering of coriander and dipping sauce.