- 6-10 beetroots (depending on size)
- 140g Puy lentils, cooked
- bunch spring onions (about 8), sliced on an angle
Also known as scallions or green onions, spring onions are in fact very young onions, harvested…
- 1 eating apple, core removed, thinly sliced (squeeze a little lemon juice over to prevent them turning brown)
Grown in temperate regions, apples are one of the most widely cultivated tree fruits. There are…
- 1 small radicchio, leaves separated and torn into bite-sized chunks
An Italian relative of chicory, radicchio is a forced crop and has distinctive red and white…
- 1 pack smoked mackerel (approx 250g), skin and any bones removed, flaked into chunky pieces
For the horseradish dressing
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Place the unpeeled beetroots on a baking tray and roast for 35-50 mins, depending on their size. Give them a gentle squeeze after 35 mins – if they feel tender and are a little shrivelled, they are done; if not, continue cooking. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Using a small sharp knife, carefully peel the beetroots, then cut into wedges (wear plastic gloves to prevent them staining your hands). Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Put the lentils, spring onions, apple, radicchio and mackerel in a large bowl, add half the dressing and toss everything together. Pile the ingredients onto a serving platter, layering with the beetroots as you do. Serve with the remaining dressing on the side.