Skinny lamb biryani
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
For the cauliflower pilau
- 350g cauliflower florets
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 cardamom pods , lightly crushed
- ½ tsp fennel seeds , lightly crushed
- a few pinches of black onion seeds or nigella seeds
For the spicy lamb
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 200g very lean lamb steak, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp bouillon
- 15g toasted flaked almonds
- 50g pomegranate seeds
- handful small mint leaves
- STEP 1
Put the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until it is reduced to rice-sized pieces. Tip into a large bowl and stir in the turmeric, cardamom, fennel seeds, black onion seeds and some seasoning. Cover with cling film, pierce and set aside.
- STEP 2
For the spicy lamb, heat the oil in a non-stick wok and fry the onion and ginger for 10 mins until soft and golden. Add the chilli and garlic, and cook for 1 min more.
- STEP 3
Stir in the cumin and coriander, cook briefly, then toss in the lamb and stir-fry for 1-2 mins until pale brown. Add the tomatoes and the bouillon, and cook for 2 mins - you are aiming for a thick sauce and really tender lamb that is still a little pink and juicy.
- STEP 4
Meanwhile, put the cauliflower in the microwave and cook on high for 3 mins. Tip out onto serving plates, dot the lamb and sauce in patches over the rice, then scatter with the almonds, pomegranate seeds and mint leaves to serve.