- 4 carrots , peeled and cut into rough chunks
- 1 celeriac , peeled and cut into rough chunks
- 1 butternut squash , peeled and cut into rough chunks
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 raw beetroot , peeled and cut into rough chunks
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar (check the label if you’re vegan)
- pinch of sugar
- 1 small pack coriander , roughly chopped
- 1 small pack mint , roughly chopped
- 50g almonds , toasted and roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Put the carrots, celeriac and squash in a large bowl. Sprinkle over ¾ of the spices and ¾ of the oil. Toss to combine and season. Transfer to two large roasting trays. Add the beetroot to the same bowl, and toss in the remaining oil, spices and some seasoning, then divide between the roasting trays (coating the beetroot separately will stop everything turning purple). Roast the veg for 45 mins or until tender, tossing halfway. Add the chickpeas to the tray, stir, then return to the oven for 5 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, mix the onion with the vinegar, sugar and some seasoning. Set aside to pickle.
- STEP 3
Transfer the roasted vegetables to a sharing platter, stir through the pickled onions and their vinegar, the herbs and almonds, and serve.