- 1 garlic bulb, separated into cloves, 3 crushed, remainder left whole
Part of the lily, or alium, family, of which onions are also a member, garlic is one of the most…
- 2 tbsp chopped oregano
Closely related to marjoram, of which it is the wild equivalent, oregano has a coarser, more…
- 2 lemons, juice of 1, the other cut into wedges
Oval in shape with a pronouced bulge on one end, lemons are one of the most versatile…
- 4 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 1 chicken (about 1.6kg/3lb 8oz)
While it's the traditional Christmas bird, turkey is good to eat all year round, though…
- 3 large red peppers, deseeded and cut into large chunks
- 3 small red onions, cut into wedges
- 4 large courgettes, cut into thick wedges
The courgette is a variety of cucurbit, which means it's from the same family as cucumber,…
- 3 tbsp chopped mint, plus a few sprigs to serve
There are several types of mint, each with its own subtle difference in flavour and appearance.…
- 200g pack feta cheese, crumbled into chunks
- 400g can chickpea, drained
- crusty bread, to serve (optional)
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Mix the crushed garlic and oregano with the lemon juice and 3 tbsp of the oil to make a dressing. Season. Make a few slashes in each chicken leg, then put the chicken in a large roasting tin and rub with 2 tbsp of the dressing. Stuff the squeezed lemon shells inside the body cavity. Roast for 30 mins.
Meanwhile, tip the peppers, onions, whole garlic cloves and courgettes into a large bowl, and toss with the remaining oil and some seasoning. After 30 mins, pile the veg around the chicken, drizzle with half the remaining dressing and roast for 1 hr.
Remove the chicken from the oven, lift onto a platter, cover with foil and leave to rest. Check the roasting tin, and if the chicken has rendered a lot of fat, pour it off, skim and return the juices to the tin. Stir the lemon wedges, mint, feta, chickpeas and remaining dressing through the veg and juices, then return to the oven for 10 mins to warm through. Pile around the chicken, scatter with mint sprigs and serve with bread, if you like, to mop up the juices.