Peruvian chicken, avocado & quinoa salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Fed up with pasta salad? This gluten-free alternative is packed with lean protein from the chicken, and healthy, heart-friendly fats from the avocado
- 50g uncooked quinoa
- 100g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 75g cherry tomatoes , quartered
- small pack coriander , leaves roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions , trimmed and finely sliced
- zest and juice 1 lime
- 1/2 long red chilli , finely chopped (deseeded if you don’t like it too hot)
- 1 ripe but firm avocado
- 200g skinless, cold, cooked roast chicken , cut into chunky pieces
- STEP 1
Half-fill a medium pan with water and bring to the boil. Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve, then add to the water, stir well and simmer for 12 mins or until just tender.
- STEP 2
While the quinoa is cooking, put the sweetcorn in a dry frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook for 5 mins, turning every now and then, until defrosted and lightly toasted. Set aside.
- STEP 3
Rinse the cooked quinoa in a sieve under cold water, then press hard with a serving spoon to remove excess water.
- STEP 4
Tip the quinoa into a bowl and toss with the olive oil, sweetcorn, tomatoes, coriander, spring onions, lime zest and chilli. Season well with black pepper.
- STEP 5
Halve and stone the avocado. Scoop out the flesh with a large metal spoon, cut into slices and combine with the lime juice. Add the chicken pieces and avocado to the salad and toss gently together before serving.