- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4-6
- 1kg ripe mixed tomatoes , halved if small, quartered if large
- 300g day-old sourdough or ciabatta, torn into large chunks
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot , finely chopped
- 50g tin anchovies , drained and roughly chopped
- 100g black olives , pitted
- large handful of basil leaves, torn
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the tomatoes in a colander and sprinkle over 1 tsp sea salt, then leave to sit for 15 mins.
- STEP 2
Spread the chunks of bread out on a baking tray and toss with 1 tbsp of the oil. Bake for 10-15 mins, or until lightly toasted.
- STEP 3
In a bowl, whisk together the remaining oil, the vinegar and shallot. Season to taste. Toss the anchovies with the tomatoes, croutons, olive oil dressing, the olives and half the basil in a large bowl. Spoon the panzanella onto a serving plate and top with the remaining basil.