Nasi goreng with sardines
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 4 sardines , gutted
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 6 spring onions , 4 chopped, 2 shredded
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 2 red chillies , sliced
- 400g cooked rice (250g uncooked)
- 85g small prawn
- 1 tbsp soy sauce , plus extra to serve (optional)
- large handful coriander leaves
- 3 tbsp crispy shallot flakes (optional)
- finely sliced cucumber , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the grill to high and brush the sardines with a little oil. Grill for about 4 mins on each side until lightly blistered and cooked through, then set aside.
- STEP 2
Heat half the remaining oil in a wok and cook the eggs to a thin omelette. Tip onto a plate to cool. Heat the rest of the oil in the same wok. Add the chopped spring onions, the garlic, shrimp paste, turmeric, tomato purée and half the chilli. Sizzle everything together to form a paste, then add the rice and prawns. Season with soy sauce and stir-fry for 5 mins until everything is combined and hot.
- STEP 3
Roll up the omelette and finely shred. Flake the fish into large boneless chunks. Stir the omelette ribbons and fish into the rice, then scatter over the shredded spring onions, remaining chilli, coriander leaves and crispy shallot flakes (if using). Serve the rice with extra soy, if you like, and finely sliced cucumber on the side.