Movie night nachos with chorizo & creamy guacamole
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6 - 8
- 2 x 200g bags salted tortilla chips (we used a mixture of blue and yellow chips)
- 180g bag grated Monterey Jack cheese (or cheddar)
- 1-2 fat chillies (1 green, 1 red looks nice), thinly sliced (deseeded if you don't like it too hot)
For the pickled onion salsa
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1 red onion , halved and finely sliced
- 2 tomatoes , seeds removed, cut into small pieces
- 3 radishes , thinly sliced
For the chorizo beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion , finely chopped
- 2 x 60g packs cubed chorizo
- 400g can black beans , drained
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp clear honey or agave syrup
For the creamy guacamole
- 3 ripe avocados
- zest and juice 1 large lime
- handful coriander , chopped, plus a few leaves to serve
- 150g pot soured cream
- STEP 1
First, make the pickled onions for the salsa. Mix the vinegar, sugar and 1 /2 tsp flaky sea salt in a bowl, whisking until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Add the onion, mix well and set aside for 20 mins, tossing around in the vinegar every few mins.
- STEP 2
Next, make the beans. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook gently for a few mins until softened. Add the chorizo and cook for 2-3 mins more, stirring until the oils have released into the pan. Add the beans and sizzle for a couple of mins until softened a little. Sprinkle in the paprika, drizzle in the honey, cook for a few more mins, then set aside.
- STEP 3
To make the guacamole, halve two of the avocados and remove the stones. Slide a dessertspoon between the skin and the flesh of each avocado half and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Add the lime zest and half the juice, the coriander, half the soured cream and a pinch of salt. Mash well until you have a smooth guacamole, then cover and chill until ready to serve. Halve the remaining avocado and remove the stone. Cut the flesh in a criss-cross pattern, then scoop out the chunks with a spoon and toss through the remaining lime juice.
- STEP 4
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. In your largest roasting tin or a large ovenproof dish, layer the tortilla chips, chorizo beans, cheese and most of the chilli slices. Bake for 10-15 mins until the cheese has melted and the tortilla chips are toasting at the edges.
- STEP 5
While the nachos cook, finish the salsa. Drain most of the pickling liquid from the onions and add the tomatoes, radishes and toss together. Remove the nachos from the oven and scatter over the salsa. Spoon over the guacamole, then scatter over the chunks of avocado. Loosen the remaining soured cream with 2-3 tsp water until it’s runny enough to drizzle over the nachos, and finish with extra chilli if you like it hot. Finally, scatter with the remaining coriander. Serve as soon as possible, with plenty of napkins!