Miso burgers with mint & pomegranate slaw
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 75g bulghar wheat
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 onions , chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , chopped
- 2 carrots , coarsely grated
- 1 large red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 30g pack coriander , stalks and leaves chopped but kept separate
- 1 lime , zested, 1/2 juiced, 1/2 cut into 4 wedges
- 2 x cans chickpeas , drained
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
For the slaw
- ½ small white cabbage , shredded
- 1 red onion , halved and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots , shredded (ideally with a julienne peeler)
- 1 pomegranate seeds only
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Cook the bulghar in a small pan of water for 5 mins. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the onions and garlic, stirring, for 5 mins or until starting to turn golden. Add the carrots and chilli, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 mins until the carrots soften. Add the cumin, ground coriander, coriander stalks and lime zest, and stir well.
- STEP 2
Tip the chickpeas into a bowl and crush with a masher or fork, then add the eggs and miso to form a chunky paste.
- STEP 3
Drain the bulghar well and stir into the spicy vegetables. Take off the heat, shape into eight burgers and place on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins or until firm and starting to turn golden.
- STEP 4
For the slaw, combine all the ingredients in a big bowl with the lime juice and coriander leaves. Serve with the burgers and lime wedges for squeezing over.