Mashed cannellini beans with wilted greens & fried artichokes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 2 thyme sprigs
- pinch of red chilli flakes
- 400g can cannellini beans , drained, 1 tbsp of can water reserved
- 1 lemon , zested and juiced, plus wedges to serve
- 200g mixed seasonal greens (I used spinach, watercress, sorrel and rocket)
- 2 tbsp semolina flour
- 100g cooked artichoke hearts , in oil
- few rosemary sprigs , finely chopped (optional)
- parmesan or vegetarian alternative, to serve
- STEP 1
Warm 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, thyme, a pinch of salt and the chilli flakes, and cook for 1 min or so. Tip in the beans, then add a slosh of their water and the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Cook for a few mins, crushing them with a fork or the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and discard the springs of thyme. Keep warm.
- STEP 2
Heat a little olive oil in a non-stick frying pan with a lid. Add the greens and a pinch of salt, then put the lid on to wilt and steam the greens for a few mins until softened. Season and add some of the lemon juice, and tip into a bowl. Keep warm.
- STEP 3
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in the frying pan you used for the greens. Put the semolina flour in a bowl and season. Drain the artichokes and pat them dry with kitchen paper. Dip each one in the flour and put in the pan to shallow fry, turning halfway through, until crisp and golden, around 3-5 mins. Spoon the cannellini beans onto a plate and top with the wilted greens and artichokes. Garnish with lemon zest, rosemary, grated parmesan and extra lemon wedges on the side.