- 2 whole mackerel , gutted and cleaned (ask the fishmonger to do this for you)
- 2 tbsp sunflower or groundnut oil
- thumb-sized piece ginger , finely shredded
- 3 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 2 fat red chillies , deseeded if you like, shredded
- bunch spring onions , finely shredded
- 250g pack cherry tomatoes , quartered
- 1 tsp Chinese rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce , plus more to serve if you like
- STEP 1
Heat the grill to High, or fire up the barbecue. Slash the fish a few times on each side, then season with black pepper. Grill or barbecue the fish for 3-5 mins on each side, until charred and cooked through (see Tip).
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a frying pan (you can put the pan on the barbecue rack), then fry the ginger, garlic and chillies for about 2 mins until the garlic is lightly golden. Take off the heat and toss in the spring onions and cherry tomatoes. Lift the fish onto a plate, splash with the vinegar, then spoon over the contents of the pan and splash with soy sauce.