- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Serves 8 - 10
- 4 Cos lettuces
- 1 small unripe mango , peeled
- 1 carrot , peeled
- ½ grapefruit , segmented and cut into pieces
- small bunch radishes , sliced
- 3 spring onions , sliced into long strips
- handful coriander leaves
- handful kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 50g beansprout
- heaped tbsp roasted peanuts , chopped
For the dressing
- 1 small red Thai chilli
- 2 tbsp palm sugar , or light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- STEP 1
For the dressing, pound the chilli and sugar to a paste using a pestle and mortar. Add the fish sauce and lime juice, continue to pound until well mixed.
- STEP 2
Run the lettuce under cold water. Remove and discard the two outer leaves. Peel the other leaves away one at a time until you get to the smaller ones - set these aside. Put the outer leaves in a big food bag in the fridge for another time.
- STEP 3
Shred the mango and the carrot into sticks using a food processor, or a sharp knife. Mix the mango, carrot, grapefruit, radishes and spring onions together with the herbs, beansprouts and peanuts. Mix in the dressing and leave to sit for 2 mins. Serve in a bowl next to the pile of reserved lettuce leaves. Spoon the salad into the lettuce leaves and eat with your hands.