- 200g butter , melted, plus extra for greasing
- 140g sultana or raisins
- zest and juice 2 oranges , or 4 clementines
- 300g self-raising flour
- 300g light soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 large eggs , beaten with a fork
- 300g carrots, parsnips, pumpkin, butternut squash or swede , or a mixture, grated
- 200g icing sugar or fondant icing sugar
- few crushed white sugar cubes
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line a 30 x 20cm baking or roasting tin with baking parchment. Mix the sultanas and zest and juice from 1 orange (or 2 clementines), and microwave on High for 2 mins.
- STEP 2
Mix the flour, caster sugar, spices, bicarb and pinch of salt into a large bowl. Mix the eggs with the melted butter and sultana mixture, then tip into the dry ingredients and stir in with a wooden spoon. Stir in the grated veg, and scrape into the tin. Bake for 35 - 40 mins, or until a skewer poked in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin.
- STEP 3
Once cool sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in remaining orange zest plus enough juice to make a runny icing. Drizzle all over the cake and scatter with the crushed sugar cubes. Leave to set, then slice into 15 squares to serve.