- 200g leftover roast potatoes, finely chopped
- 150g leftover cooked carrots or swede, finely chopped
- 150g leftover cooked Brussels sprouts, finely sliced
- 100g leftover cooked stuffing, finely chopped or crumbled
- 50g leftover cooked cabbage, or 2 tbsp kimchi
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- splash of Tabasco
- 100g leftover cooked sausages, finely chopped
- 100g leftover roast turkey meat, shredded or finely chopped
- 50g cheese, grated (any kind)
- 2 tbsp bread sauce or mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chopped herbs (coriander, parsley or chives all work well)
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp semolina flour (or use an extra 2 tbsp plain flour)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil or leftover turkey drippings, plus extra for moulding
For the gochujang mayonnaise
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6. To make the gochujang mayo, whisk together the mayonnaise, 2 tbsp gochujang and the lime zest and juice. Taste and add another 1 tbsp gochujang if you prefer more spice. Set aside.
- STEP 2
To make the patties, mash the potatoes well in a large bowl using a potato masher or fork. Add the carrots or swede, sprouts and stuffing and mash to combine. Stir in the cabbage or kimchi and season well. Stir in the garlic, ginger, Tabasco, sausages, turkey, cheese, bread sauce or mayonnaise and herbs, mixing everything well until evenly combined. Put the flours in a second shallow bowl. Lightly oil your hands, and mould handfuls of the patty mixture into burger-sized patties. If they start to fall apart, add a little more bread sauce or mayonnaise. Lightly dust the patties in the flour mixture, then flatten them slightly between your palms.
- STEP 3
When all the mixture has been used (you should have about six to eight patties), heat the sesame and rapeseed oils in a heavy-bottomed frying pan or skillet over a medium heat. Fry the patties undisturbed for 2-3 mins, until they have a golden crust (you’ll need to do this in batches). Carefully flip and fry for another couple of minutes on the other side until golden. Transfer the fried patties to a baking tray and bake in the oven for 5 mins until deeply golden and crisp on the outside, and cooked through. Serve with the gochujang mayo.