Herb & garlic pork with summer ratatouille
- Preparation and cooking time
- 4 (or 2 with leftovers for other meals)
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 2 red onions , halved and sliced
- 2 peppers (any colour), diced
- 1 large aubergine , diced
- 2 large courgettes , halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon
- 1 thyme spig
- handful basil , stalks chopped, leaves torn and kept separate
For the pork
- 475g pork tenderloin, fat trimmed off, cut into 2 equal pieces
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves , plus a few sprigs to decorate
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- brown rice or new potatoes, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the onions for 5 mins or until softened. Stir in the peppers, aubergine, courgettes and garlic, and cook, stirring, for a few mins. Tip in the tomatoes and 1 can of water, then stir in the bouillon, thyme and basil stalks. Cover and simmer for 20 mins or until tender. Stir through the basil leaves.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, rub the pork with the garlic, then scatter with the thyme and some black pepper, patting it so it sticks all over. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the pork for about 12 mins, turning frequently so it browns on all sides, until tender but still moist. Cover and rest for 5 mins.
- STEP 3
If you're making this as part of the Healthy Diet Plan, set aside half of the pork to use in the curried pork bulghar salad later in the week and store in the fridge once cooled. Chill the half of the ratatouille and use it to make the ratatouille pasta salad with rocket for another day. If you are serving four you can skip this step.
- STEP 4
To serve, slice the pork and serve with the ratatouille, some brown rice or new potatoes and some extra thyme.