Healthy tikka masala
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Enjoy the spicy, rich flavours of tikka masala with this family-friendly lighter version that's both healthy and gluten-free. It's a guaranteed crowd-pleaser
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves
- thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 4 small skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp tikka spice powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 40g ground almonds
- 200g spinach
- 3 tbsp fat-free natural yogurt
- ½ small bunch of coriander , chopped
- brown basmati rice , to serve
- STEP 1
Put the onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and whizz to a smooth paste.
- STEP 2
Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the onion mixture and fry for 15 mins. Tip into a bowl and wipe out the pan.
- STEP 3
Add the remaining oil and the chicken and fry for 5-7 mins, or until lightly brown. Stir in the tikka spice and cayenne and fry for a further minute. Tip the onion mixture back into the pan, along with the tomatoes and 1 can full of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 mins. Stir in the almonds and spinach and cook for a further 10 mins. Season, then stir though the yogurt and coriander. Serve with brown rice.