Gooseberry & mint lemonade
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus cooling
- Makes 700ml (about 11 servings once dilluted)
- 250g caster or granulated sugar
- 3 large lemons , plus more to serve
- 350g gooseberry , topped and tailed, then halved
- mint leaves from 3 sprigs, plus extra to serve
- ice and sparkling water , to serve
- STEP 1
In a large pan, gently melt the sugar in 250ml water. Meanwhile, using a vegetable peeler, pare away a few long strips of lemon zest. Squeeze the juice to give about 100ml.
- STEP 2
Add the zest, juice, gooseberries and mint leaves to the pan, and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5-10 mins until the gooseberries are very soft, then mash with a potato masher and leave to cool. Strain through a sieve, pressing the flesh well to extract the juices, then chill thoroughly.
- STEP 3
To serve, dilute 4 tbsp of the lemonade base with 100ml sparkling water (or to taste), adding extra ice, lemon and mint.