Fragrant roast chicken
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 1 large chicken , about 1.8kg/4lb
- 2 lemons , halved
- 2 heads of garlic , halved across the middle, plus 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50g butter , softened
- 2 tsp Ras-el-hanout spice mix
- 1 tsp smoked paprika , optional
- 200g pot Greek yogurt
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Put ½ a lemon and ½ a garlic head into the chicken’s cavity, then put into a roasting tray. Mix butter, garlic and half the spices and spread over chicken breast and legs. Season well. Can be prepared up to a day ahead and kept covered in the fridge. Put the remaining garlic into the tray and roast chicken for 1 hr. Mix remaining spices into yogurt and season.
- STEP 2
Remove chicken from oven and smother with yogurt. Spoon some of the juices over, add the remaining lemon to the tray, then roast for 15 mins or until the yogurt is golden and set and the juices run clear. Lift chicken onto a board, cover and rest for 10 mins before carving. Serve hot or cold.