Fish fingers & mushy peas
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus chilling
- Serves 4
- 600g sustainable firm, skinless white fish , like pollock or hake
- 50g plain flour , seasoned
- 1 large egg , lightly whisked
- 200g fine fresh breadcrumb
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400g frozen peas
- knob of butter
- zest 1 lemon , then cut into wedges
- small handful mint , finely shredded
- new potatoes , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Slice the fish into 12 fingers, each about 3cm thick. Put the seasoned flour, egg and breadcrumbs into 3 separate shallow bowls. Dust the fish pieces first in the flour, then coat well in the egg, and cover completely in the breadcrumbs. Put on a plate and chill for 15 mins.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the fish fingers and fry for 8 mins, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through. Meanwhile, add the peas to a small pan of boiling water. Cook for 4 mins until really tender. Drain, tip into a bowl with the butter, zest and mint, and roughly mash with a potato masher. Season to taste and keep warm.
- STEP 3
Serve the golden fish fingers with a generous spoonful of mushy peas, lemon wedges and new potatoes, if you like.