Fennel, cherry & goat’s cheese salad with lentils
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2 - 3
- 50g walnut halves or pieces
- 250g pack pre-cooked puy lentils
- 1 large fennel bulb , finely sliced, fronds reserved
- 140g cherries , halved and pitted (or small figs, halved)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp clear honey
- ½ small pack tarragon , roughly chopped
- 100g pack soft goat's cheese (any kind will work, but ash-rolled looks a bit special), thickly sliced and halved
- STEP 1
Heat a dry frying pan over a low-medium heat. Add the walnuts and cook for 3 mins, stirring frequently, until they smell toasty and the skins are a deep golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- STEP 2
Heat the lentils following pack instructions, then tip into a large bowl and loosen with a fork. Tip the fennel and cherries on top.
- STEP 3
Whisk together the vinegar, oil, mustard, honey and tarragon, then season. Fold the dressing through the lentils, fennel and cherries, then scoop the salad onto a platter. Scatter with the cheese, walnuts and the reserved fennel fronds.