Easy chicken stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Make this healthy chicken stew – it's simple and perfect for a filling family supper. Our easy, low-fat recipe is delicious served with a warm cheese scone
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch spring onions , sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 small swede (350g), peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 400g potatoes , peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 500ml chicken stock
- 200g Savoy cabbage or spring cabbage, sliced
- 2 tsp cornflour (optional)
- crusty bread or cheese scones, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the white spring onion slices and fry for 1 min to soften. Tip in the swede and potatoes and cook for 2-3 mins more, then add the chicken, mustard and stock. Cover and cook for 35 mins, or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken cooked through.
- STEP 2
Add the cabbage and simmer for another 5 mins. If the stew looks too thin, mix the cornflour with 1 tbsp cold water and pour a couple of teaspoonfuls into the pan; let the stew bubble and thicken, then check again. If it’s still too thin, add a little more of the cornflour mix and let the stew bubble and thicken some more.
- STEP 3
Season to taste, then spoon the stew into deep bowls. Scatter over the green spring onion slices and serve with crusty bread or warm cheese scones, if you like.