- 500g potato, unpeeled and roughly chopped
The world's favourite root vegetable, the potato comes in innumerable varieties. A member of…
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1kg courgettes, roughly chopped
The courgette is a variety of cucurbit, which means it's from the same family as cucumber,…
- bunch spring onion, sliced - save 1 for serving, if eating straight away
Also known as scallions or green onions, spring onions are in fact very young onions, harvested…
- 100g extra-mature cheddar or vegetarian alternative, grated, plus a little extra to serve
Once cheddar was 'Cheddar', a large, hard-pressed barrel of cheese made by a particular…
- good grating fresh nutmeg, plus extra to serve
One of the most useful of spices for both sweet and savoury…
Put the potatoes in a large pan with just enough water to cover them and crumble in the stock cubes. Bring to the boil, then cover and cook for 5 mins. Add the courgettes, put the lid back on and cook for 5 mins more. Throw in the spring onions, cover and cook for a final 5 mins.
Take off the heat, then stir in the cheese and season with the nutmeg, salt and pepper. Whizz to a thick soup, adding more hot water until you get the consistency you like. Serve scattered with extra grated cheddar, spring onions and nutmeg or pepper. Or cool and freeze in freezer bags or containers with good lids for up to 3 months.