Chorizo, orzo & sweetcorn summer stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Fry veg with chorizo and orzo to make this healthy, colourful summer stew. You can add any leftover veg you have in the fridge to reduce food waste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- bunch of spring onions , sliced, green and white parts separated
- 1 red pepper , cut into small cubes
- 50g chorizo , cut into small cubes
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 75g orzo
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 200g can sweetcorn , drained
- 1 large tomato , chopped
- 350ml low-salt chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ small bunch of parsley , chopped
- ½ lemon , zested and juiced
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and fry the white parts of the spring onions, the peppers and chorizo for 8 mins, until the peppers are soft and the chorizo is just golden.
- STEP 2
Stir in the garlic, orzo, paprika, sweetcorn and tomato, and fry for 2-3 mins more. Pour in the stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8-10 mins, stirring often, until the orzo is tender. Stir in the parsley, the green parts of the spring onions, and the lemon juice and zest.
USE UP LEFTOVER VEG
This is a great way of using up any leftover veg you have in the fridge. You could add grated courgette or chopped aubergine, onion, or squash.