Chicken momos with Nepalese roasted tomato chutney
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 6
For the filling
- 250g chicken mince
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2.5cm piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 3g black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped
- ½ lemongrass stalk, lightly bashed and finely chopped
- 25g unsalted butter, melted
- ½ lemon, juiced
For the wrappers (or use shop-bought wonton wrappers)
- 200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp cornflour, for dusting
For the tomato chutney
- 2 tbsp mustard or vegetable oil
- ½ tbsp fenugreek seeds
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2.5cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3-4 green or red chillies, quartered
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tbsp ground turmeric
- 500g tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- STEP 1
First, for the chutney heat the oil in a non-stick pan over a medium-high heat until smoking. Tip in the fenugreek seeds and pepper. Fry for about 20 seconds, being careful not to let them catch. Add the garlic, ginger and chillies, and cook for 30 seconds. Mix the spices with a little water, add to the pan and cook for 1-2 mins more. Add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt and cook until the tomatoes have softened, about 5 mins. Set aside to cool.
- STEP 2
If making your own wrappers, sift the flour and baking powder over a clean work surface. Make a well in the centre, add a good pinch of salt and 50ml water. Mix well with your hands, then add another 50ml water and work it in to make a smooth dough. Knead for 5 mins, then cover and set aside to rest for 30 mins.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, make the filling. Mix the chicken mince with the other ingredients and ¾ tsp salt.
- STEP 4
Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a long log, about 2.5cm in diameter. Cut into 2.5cm-wide pieces, dust each with flour and flatten into circles. Roll each piece out to a roughly 7.5cm circle, the thickness of a 10p coin. Stack the circles up, dusting lightly with the cornflour between each layer. Cover with a damp cloth.
- STEP 5
Wet the inner edge of a wrapper, put a heaped teaspoon of the filling in the centre and make small folds all the way around the outer edge. Hold the folds together and twist slightly to seal. Repeat the process to use up the filling. Cook the momos in a steamer set to high for 10-12 mins until cooked through.
- STEP 6
Blitz the chutney to a purée using a hand blender. Stir in the sesame seeds, coriander and lemon or lime juice. Serve with the momos.