Easy chicken gumbo
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A warming Cajun-inspired casserole with smoked bacon, peppers and okra - perfect served over rice and beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g smoked bacon lardons
- 1 onion , sliced
- 130g pack Padrón peppers , stalks removed, sliced (or 1 green chilli and 100g green pepper)
- 4 skinless chicken breasts , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp Cajun spice mix
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed
- 500ml chicken stock
- 175g pack okra , sliced (or 2 courgettes, sliced)
- 500g carton passata
- 2 spring onions , sliced
- cooked rice and black beans , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the lardons and onion, and fry for 5 mins until the bacon is starting to crisp and the onion is soft. Add the peppers, chicken and flour, and fry for a further 5 mins or until the chicken is golden brown and the flour is starting to take on a a biscuty colour.
- STEP 2
Stir in the Cajun spice mix and garlic, then slowly add the chicken stock, stirring all the time. Add the okra, passata and some seasoning and simmer for 20 mins, uncovered, over a medium heat. Stir frequently during cooking to loosen the flour from the base of the pan.
- STEP 3
Sprinkle over the spring onions and serve with rice and black beans.