Quick chicken chow mein
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus marinating
- Serves 4
This speedy, kid-friendly supper is a great way of cramming a good variety of vegetables into one meal
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- good chunk fresh root ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into chunky strips
- 3 blocks dried egg noodles
- ½ a head broccoli, broken into florets
- 3 carrots, cut into thin sticks
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 300g pack beansprout
- 3 spring onions, halved and sliced into long strips
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- STEP 1
Mix together the garlic, ginger, chilli, soy sauce and tomato purée, then add the chicken and leave it to marinate while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- STEP 2
Boil a large pan of water, add the noodles, broccoli and carrots, then cook for 4 mins before draining.
- STEP 3
Heat the vegetable oil in a wok, tip in the chicken and its marinade, then stir-fry for 4-5 mins until cooked. Toss in the noodles, vegetables, beansprouts and spring onion to warm through, then mix the oyster sauce with 2 tbsp water and stir this in just before serving.